I found this at ehow.com. It offers some good advice
Tips & Warnings
* Do a lot of everything, so long as it’s legal and relatively safe.
* Nowhere else in life will you be around so many different people with such diverse and similar interests at the same time. Reach out to people; you will make lifelong friends and grow tremendously during this period.
* Don’t take college for granted. It will pass you by before you know it, and you can never really go back to that stage in life without feeling awkward.
- Take elective courses that interest you and are outside of your major.
- Play or watch varsity and intramural sports.
- Go out to clubs and bars frequented by students.
- Eat at the campus and town hot spots.
- Explore the fraternity and sorority scene to see if it’s for you.
- Read the books, magazines and papers that students talk about most.
- Stay up late at night discussing controversial topics with friends.
- Attend special lectures, panels, speeches, plays and/or concerts.
- Ride a bike and walk around campus. A lot.
- Listen, play, sing and/or dance to music often.
- Study in a foreign country for a quarter or semester.
- Join a student group that is passionate about something.
- Protest something at least once.
- Take wild spring break trips.
- Go to professors’ after-hours sessions to ask questions.